Frosted Kitten Blanket
Inspired by our newly adopted kitten, Peanut, I created this little blanket for her bed. She helped me work on it, in the way only cats and kittens can, and enjoys curling up in it when she feels like a snooze.
Because two yarns are being used together, one or the other randomly becomes the dominant colour from stitch to stitch. The fabric ends up looking frosted, hence the name.
- worsted yarn in white and another colour, about 100 grams of each (3 1/2 or 4 oz), it must be machine washable
(Check out the selection of yarns at
- circular or single point knitting needles of appropriate size, I used 5.00 mm
- gauge is not crucial, but you want a thick, cushy fabric, not a firm, dense one.
- finished size is about 17 by 17 inches (45 x 45 cm) square
- Using both yarns held together, cast on 60 sts or so.
- Work 5 to 7 rows in garter st (knit every row).
- Knit 5, purl across to within last 5 sts of row, knit 5.
- Knit all the way across.
- Repeat the last two rows til the blanket is almost square. The first and last 5 sts of each row will be in garter st, and the body in stocking stitch.
- Work another 5 yo 7 rows of garter st, end ready to work right side. Cast off.
- With a suitably sized crochet hook, sc around all edges of blanket. You'll need to skip a st every so often to make it lie flat. It's not absolutely necessary to add the crocheted edge, but it makes it look more finished.
- Be absolutely certain you securely work in and attach ends of yarn. You don't want your furry friend to try to eat and digest this yarn - it can be very dangerous!
- I think it would look really nice done in a solid, plus a vareigated cotton yarn, like
Sugar'n Cream Cotton Ombre).
- This size suits a kitten or small puppy, you'll need to make it larger for an adult animal, and use more yarn of course.
- It's extremely important to get all ends hidden away securely and avoid fringe, tassels and the like. It doesn't take much yarn to get entangled in an animal's intestines and become a life threatening emergency. Also, please be sure your stash is hidden safely away when you're not nearby. Your little one will thank you!
CTRL-D to Bookmark This Site!
This web site is made in Canada.