Comfy Ribbed Socks
I'd always wanted to make a pair of all rib socks, and these are pretty
close. The leg and most of the foot are ribbed, and the sole is done in
a slip stitch pattern, which makes for comfy, cushioned walking.
I did them in stripes because I'd also always wanted to make a striped
pair of socks. You can of course make them one colour, or however many
you chose. I'm sure they'd be much easier to make without the stripes. ;)
They look rather long and thin just lying there, but are very comfortable
on the foot due to the ribbing.
NOTE: - slipped st is always slipped purlwise
- Paton's Astra (sport weight acrylic), 1 50g ball in each of three
colours - light, medium, and dark
- set of 4 dpn's, I used 3.25 mm
- fits woman's size 8 Canadian foot (almost 10 inches)
- With dark, cast on 40 stitches. 12/16/12
- Work 5 rounds of k2, p2 ribbing.
- Join medium, knit one round plain, work 5 rounds k2, p2 ribbing.
- Join light, knit one round plain, work 5 rounds k2, p2 ribbing.
- Join dark, knit one round plain, work 5 rounds k2, p2 knitting.
- Repeat medium and light stripes once more, (total six stripes).
- Join dark, knit one round plain, work 2 rounds k2, p2 ribbing.
- Heel Flap: Continuing with dark, k12, turn, p24, turn.
- *Slip one st, knit 1*, repeat across, turn.
- Slip first st, purl across, turn.
- Repeat these last two row 24 times altogether, end right side facing.
- Work across 15 sts in established pattern, knit 2 together, turn.
- Slip first st, purl 6, p2tog, turn.
- Slip first st, work 6 sts in pattern, k2tog, turn.
- Repeat these last two rows til 8 sts remain, end right side facing.
- Work pattern across those 8 sts, pick up 14 sts along first side of
heel flap, pick up a st in space between heel flap and instep stitches, rib
across instep sts, pick up another st between instep sts and other side of
heel flap, pick up 14 sts along other side of heel flap.
- Knit across first needle. On second ndl k2 tog, rib across to last 2
sts, k2 tog. On last ndl, knit across. 22/16/14
- Work the heel pattern (sl1, k1) on 14 sts, work the ribbing (k2, p2)
on the next 8 sts. Rib the instep sts. On last ndl, rib 8 sts, then work
heel pattern on 6 sts.
- Rearrange sts on needles to 16 rib / 16 rib/ 20 heel sts. Knit across
so you're ready to work the first of the rib sts. 16/16/20
- With medium (and each time you change colours), knit one round plain
all around, then continue with pattern as established - ribbing the rib
sts, and working the heel st pattern on the other 20 sts for five rounds.
I worked three full repeats of the med/lt/dk stripes, then one more of
medium and light.
- Shape Toe: Knit one round plain in the next appropriate colour (I
used dark). At each side of the heel sts, add 3 sts from the rib st ndls.
13/13/26 Knit the last few sts of the 26-st needle to bring you to the
beginning of the next needle.
- Work one round in the sl1, k1 pattern (heel st pattern).
- Next round knit 1, k2 tog, knit across to within last 3 sts of
next needle, k2 tog tbl (through back loop, or use SSK), k1, last
needle k1, k2 tog, knit across to within last 3 sts, k2 tog tbl (or SSK),
- Next round and every alternate round, slip sts that were slipped two
rounds below and knit sts that were knit two rounds below to maintain the
- Repeat the last two rounds til 16 sts remain on needles. Break yarn
and graft toe. Make another one the same.
- Make these in however many (or few) colours you like.
- If substituting a different rib pattern, you may have to take this
into account when dividing up the sts for the heel flap etc.
CTRL-D to Bookmark This Site!
This web site is made in Canada.