Winter 2000-2001 has been pretty chilly and snowy so far in this part of the world. My daughter had one day mentioned her plans to go shopping for some new warmer socks to wear while waiting for the bus or train during the commute to her new job. I'd been considering digging through my yarn stash and whipping up another pair or two of socks for myself. Then I thought, why not make a pair for each of us - and Mother and Daughter Socks were born.
They are similar in size, and use the same materials. Mother's has a rolled cuff, and Daughter's has a ribbed, fold down, contrasting cuff. Mom's is just a tad larger around the foot. Both use variegated chunky yarn worked at a higher gauge than usual - we're looking for warmth here, after all. As noted in the title, this is the version I made for her. Mother Socks can be found here.
I ended up buying new yarn instead of using up some of what I already had. Oh well...
- Chunky yarn in 2 colours - 1 50g ball solid colour and 2 50g balls variegated - I used Red Heart Shetland Style Chunky in Blue Jean Variegated and Navy
- Set of 4 dpn's, 4.25 mm suggested
- Gauge: approx 18.5 sts per 4 inches
- Fits woman's shoe size 8 (Canadian)
- With solid, cast on 27 sts.
- Work 27 rounds of k1 p2 ribbing. Yes, you read that right! Once it's turned down as the cuff, you'll have 2 columns of knit, then 1 column of purl, etc.
- Switch to variegated yarn. *K2, m1, k5, m1, k2* around - 33 sts on ndl
- Work even for at least 30 rounds.
- K8, turn, k2, p12, k2, turn - first row of heel flap made. You'll have 2 garter sts on both ends of each row.
- K2, *sl1, k1* to within last 2 sts, k2.
- K2, purl 12, k2.
- Repeat above 2 rows til you have worked 10 slip stitch rows.
- K11, k2tog, turn - leaving last 3 sts unworked.
- Sl1, p6, p2tog, turn - leaving last 3 sts unworked.
- Repeat the above 2 rows til 8 sts remain on ndl.
- With the right side of your work facing, knit those 8 sts, pick up a st in each purl knot along the side of the heel flap and 1 more between the heel flap and instep stitches - 20 sts on ndl.
- Knit across the 17 instep sts.
- Pick up a st between the instep sts and the other side of the heel flap, then pick up one st in each purl knot - total 49 sts on ndls.
- Work 3 rounds even.
- Rearrange sts to 16/19/16.
- K to within last 3 sts on ndl 1, k2tog, k1. Knit across ndl 2. On ndl 3, k1, ssk, knit to end of ndl - total now 47 sts on ndls - 15/19/15
- Work 2 rounds even.
- Repeat last 2 row til sts in round are reduced to 39.
- Work even til 6 1/2 inches from edge of heel flap, or desired length.
- Rearrange stitches to 10/20/9
- Using solid again, knit 7, k2tog, k1 on ndl 1. Knit across ndls 2 and 3 - 38 sts on ndls.
- Knit to within the last 3 sts at end of ndl 1, k2tog, k1. On ndl 2, k1, ssk (or k2tog tbl), knit to within last 3 sts, k2tog, k1. On ndl 3, k1, ssk, knit to end of needle. Decrease round made - 34 sts on ndls.
- Knit one round even.
- Work another decrease round (30 sts), another even round, a decrease round (26 sts), an even round, then two more decrease rounds. You now have 18 sts on ndls - 4/10/4.
- Knit the 4 sts from ndl 1 and the first st from ndl 2, onto ndl 3 - 9/9. Graft toe closed.
CTRL-D to Bookmark This Site!
This web site is made in Canada.