Handmade ribbed socks - the best fitting and most comfortable socks in the world. Green Riblets are a variation on my Purple Riblets, but are made with 2 strands of sock yarn instead of 3 . Like the purple version, they're all ribbed (except the soles), and if you use superwash wool, they're machine wash (inside out) and hang to dry.
- 1 1/2 50g balls (1 3/4 oz) 3 or 4 ply sock yarn (I used a superwash wool and nylon blend) in each of 2 colours (I used one ball 3 ply variegated grey and one ball 4 ply green)
- Set of 4 dpn's, 3.5 mm suggested
- Gauge: approx 18-20 sts per 4 inches (10 cm), using 3 strands together, slightly stretched, but this is not crucial for ribbed socks
- Fits woman's shoe size 9 or men's size 8 (both Canadian)
- Using both strands together, cast on 42 sts, arrange stitches 15/12/15.
- Work 42 rounds of k2 p1 ribbing.
- Heel Flap - Continue working rib stitch on 11 sts, turn. Work ribbing on those 11 sts again, continue rib stitch on 12 more sts (total 23), turn. Leave remaining sts on spare needle or st holder to be worked later.
- Continue working rib pattern on these 23 sts for approx 22 rows, ending right side facing.
- Slip first st, work 16 sts in ribbing, k2tog, k1, turn.
- Slip first st, work 10 sts in ribbing, p2tog, p1, turn.
- Slip first st, work 11 sts in ribbing, k2tog, k1, turn.
- Slip first st, work 12 sts in ribbing, p2tog, p1, turn.
- Slip first st, work 13 sts in ribbing, k2tog, k1, turn.
- Slip first st, work 14 sts in ribbing, p2tog, p1, turn. You should now have those 23 sts reduced to 17 sts
- Work ribbing across those 17 sts (beginning and ending with k2 to match rows on heel flap).
- Onto same ndl, pick up and knit 14 sts along first side of heel flap, and pick up one st between ndls. 2nd ndl, work in rib pattern across the 19 instep sts you set aside earlier. 3rd ndl, pick up a st between ndls, pick up and knit 13 sts along second side of heel flap, k9 from first ndl onto 3rd ndl. Sts should be 23/19/23. Rearrange sts to 21/23/21.
- Knit across ndl 1, work ribbing across all sts on ndl 2 (ndl 2 should begin and end with k2), knit across ndl 3.
- Knit to within last 3 sts on first needle, knit 2 tog, k1. Rib across 2nd ndl. On 3rd ndl, k1, k2tog tbl (or ssk), knit to end of needle. Stitches will number 20/23/20.
- Work one round even (continuing to knit or rib as in previous rnd, but without decreasing).
- Repeat these last two rounds til sts number 10/23/10.
- Continue working rounds in patterns established until you've worked approximately 6 - 6 1/2 inches from the edge of the heel flap.
- Toe Decrease - The toe area is worked in stocking st (all knit stitches). Knit across first needle. On 2nd ndl, k1, k2tog tbl (or ssk), knit 6, k2tog, knit to within last 3 sts on first needle, knit 2 tog, k1. Knit across 3rd ndl without decreasing. Stitches will number 10/20/10.
- Knit one round even (without decreasing).
- Knit to within last 3 sts on first needle, knit 2 tog, k1. On 2nd ndl, k1, k2tog tbl (or ssk), knit to within last 3 sts on first needle, knit 2 tog, k1. 3rd ndl, k1, k2tog, knit to end of ndl. Stitches will number 9/18/9.
- Knit one round even.
- Repeat these last two rounds til sts number 5/10/5, but do not work an even round after your last decrease round. Knit the 5 sts from ndl 1 onto ndl 3, graft toe closed.
CTRL-D to Bookmark This Site!
This web site is made in Canada.