I'm really liking these knit and purl stitch striped socks. They're easy to knit and keep track of both pattern stitches and rows.
I used a hand dyed, heavy worsted weight pure wool yarn. The colour variations reminded me of the different shades denim goes through as it wears out, hence the name.
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) heavy worsted or aran weight wool yarn, (about 220 metres altogether - 250 yards), I used Araucania NatureWool in blue.
- set of four double pointed needles - I used 4.00 mm caseins
- fits women's medium-large (about nine-ten inches - 23-25 cm - in length)
- Cast on 42 sts.
- Work 2 rows of k1 p1 rib (worked flat).
- Divide onto 3 ndls - 14-14-14 - and join into a circle.
- Work 21 rounds of k1 p1 ribbing altogether.
- On each ndl, k7, m1, k7 - 15-15-15
- Knit 2 more rounds.
- Purl 1 round.
- Knit 5 rounds.
- Purl 1 round.
- Knit 3 rounds.
- Repeat these last 10 rounds 4 times altogether, ending with 5 knit rounds then a purl stitch round (skipping the last repeat of knitting 3 rounds).
- K11, turn, slip 1, k10, k11, turn (leaves 4 sts at far ends of ndls 1 and 3 to put onto remaining instep ndl to be worked later)
- Slip 1, k 21, turn.
- Rep previous row til 14 purl st ridges show on right side and you're ready to work a right side row.
- Work 15 sts, k2tog (leaves 5 unworked), turn.
- Slip 1, k8, k2tog (leaves 5 unworked), turn.
- Rep last row til 10 sts on ndl.
- K2tog, k6, k2tog - 8 sts on ndl.
- With same ndl, pick up about 15 sts along side of heel flap.
- With ndl 2, pick up a st between ndls 1 and 2, knit across ndl 2, pick up a st between ndls 2 and 3.
- Onto ndl 3, pick up and knit about 15 sts along other side of heel flap, then knit first 4 sts from ndl 1 onto ndl 3. Your sts should number about 19/25/19.
- Rearrange sts to 21-21-21.
- Knit to within last 3 sts of ndl 1, k2tog, k1. On next ndl, knit across. On last ndl, k1, ssk, knit to end of ndl.
- Knit one round even.
- Continue to decrease by two sts every second round, while working in pattern as established across ndl 2, til stitches number 9-21-9.
- Continue without decreasing til 9 purl st ridges have been completed on foot section, the last one being worked after a 5 knit row stripe.
- Knit 2 rounds even, without decreasing (no purl sts).
- Knit to within last 3 sts of ndl 1, k2tog, k1. K1, ssk, knit to within last 3 sts of ndl 2, k2tog, k1. K1, ssk, k to end of ndl 3 - 8/19/8.
- Knit one round without decreases.
- Repeat these two rounds til sts number 5/12/5.
- Next round, work first ndl without decreasing, work decreases on second ndl as usual, work last ndl without decreasing - 5/10/5.
- Knit 5 sts from ndl 1 to ndl 3.
- Do 3 needle bind off from right side (or graft toe).
- Make another one the same. One ball makes a pair.
- There's so much mileage in using stocking stitch, I love it! I could have made these plain stocking st but I'm into garter stitch ridges these days. Gives it more texture.
CTRL-D to Bookmark This Site!
This web site is made in Canada.