My daughter and myself were both in need of warm socks for winter, so I thought, why not make a pair for each of us - and Mother and Daughter Socks were born.
Mother's has a rolled cuff, and Daughter's has a ribbed, fold down, contrasting cuff. Mom's is a tad larger. Both use variegated chunky yarn worked at a high gauge for warmth. This is my version. Daughter Socks can be found here.
- Chunky yarn in 2 colours - 1 50g ball solid colour and 2 50g balls variegated - I used Red Heart Shetland Style Chunky in Blue Jean Variegated and Navy
- Set of 4 dpn's, 4.25 mm suggested
- Gauge: approx 18.5 sts per 4 inches
- Fits woman's shoe size 8-9 (Canadian)
- With variegated, cast on 33 sts.
- Work even for at least 40 rounds.
- Rearrange sts to 8/17/8.
- K8, turn, k16, turn - first row of heel flap made.
- With solid, k16, turn. K16 and turn again.
- With variegated, k16, turn. K16 and turn again.
- Continue working 2 rows solid, then 2 rows variegated til you have 6 solid stripes. Right side of work should be facing, and you're at the point where you'd be ready to begin working your first of the two variegated rows again.
- Break solid, and continue using variegated only.
- K11, k2tog, turn - leaving last 3 sts unworked.
- Sl1, k6, k2tog, turn - leaving last 3 sts unworked.
- Repeat the above 2 rows til 8 sts remain on ndl.
- With the right side of your work facing, knit those 8 sts, pick up a st in each purl knot along the side of the heel flap and 1 more between the heel flap and instep stitches - 21 sts on ndl.
- Knit across the 17 instep sts.
- Pick up a st between the instep sts and the other side of the heel flap, then pick up one st in each purl knot - total 51 sts on ndls.
- Work 3 rounds even.
- Rearrange sts to 16/19/16.
- K to within last 3 sts on ndl 1, k2tog, k1. Knit across ndl 2. On ndl 3, k1, ssk, knit to end of ndl - total now 49 sts on ndls - 15/19/15
- Work 3 rounds even.
- Work another decrease round (47 sts), 3 rounds even, a decrease round (45 sts), 3 rounds even, a decrease round (43 sts).
- Work 1 more decrease round followed by one round even - 41 sts in the round.
- Rearrange sts to 13/15/13. Work even til 6 inches from edge of heel flap, or desired length.
- Rearrange stitches to 10/21/10
- Using solid again, knit to within the last 3 sts at end of ndl 1, k2tog, k1. On ndl 2, k1, ssk (or k2tog tbl), knit 7, k2tog, knit to within last 3 sts of ndl, k2tog, k1. On ndl 3, k1, ssk, knit to end of needle - 36 sts on ndls.
Note: The knitting of 2 sts tog halfway across ndl 2 is done only on this first decrease round. Do not repeat this decrease on future decrease rounds.
- Work one round even.
- Work another decrease round (32 sts), another even round, then three more decrease rounds. You now have 20 sts on ndls - 5/10/5.
- Knit the 5 sts from ndl 1 onto ndl 3. Graft toe closed.
CTRL-D to Bookmark This Site!
This web site is made in Canada.