If you've ever worn handmade ribbed socks, you know they're the best fitting and most comfortable of all. These are all ribbed (except the soles), and if you use superwash wool, they're machine wash and hang to dry. If you've never tried ribbed socks, these are a great first pair to try. They work up fast, too. :)
- 3 - 50g balls (1 3/4 oz) 3 ply sock yarn (I used a superwash wool and nylon blend) in 2 or 3 colours (I used 2 balls variegated grey and one ball purple)
- Set of 4 dpn's, 3.25 mm suggested
- Gauge: approx 18-20 sts per 4 inches (10 cm), using 3 strands together, slightly stretched, but this is not crucial for ribbed socks
- Fits woman's shoe size 8-9 (Canadian)
- Using three strands together, cast on 36 sts, arrange stitches 12/12/12.
- Work at least 36 rounds of k2 p1 ribbing.
- Heel Flap - Continue working rib stitch on 8 sts, turn, continue rib stitch on 17 sts, turn.
- Continue working rib pattern for approx 28 rows, ending right side facing.
- Work 12 in ribbing, turn, slip first st, work 7 in rib, turn - first row of heel flap made.
- Slip first st, work 7 sts in rib, work 2 together, turn.
- Repeat this row til 9 sts remain on ndl, end right side facing.
- First needle, k2tog, work 5 in rib, k2tog, pick up 17 sts along first side of heel flap, and pick up on st between ndls. 2nd ndl, work in rib pattern across instep sts. 3rd ndl, pick up a st between ndls, pick up 17 sts along second side of heel flap, k2 from first ndl, k2tog from first ndl. Sts should be 21/19/21. Rearrange sts to 20/21/20.
- Work 2 rounds as follows: Knit 20 (sts on first ndl), rib 21 sts (2nd ndl), knit 20 (2rd ndl).
- Knit to within last 3 sts on first needle, knit 2 tog, k1. Rib across 2nd ndl. On 3rd ndl, k1, k2tog tbl (or ssk), knit to end of needle. Stitches will number 19/21/19.
- Knit 2 rounds even (without decreasing).
- Knit another decrease round, and another round even - 18/21/18.
- Repeat these last tow rounds til stitches equal 10/21/10.
- Work even til 6 to 6 1/2 inches from edge of heel flap, or desired length to toe decrease area.
- Toe Decrease - The toe area is done in all knit stitches. Knit to within last 3 sts on first needle, knit 2 tog, k1. On 2nd ndl, k1, k2tog tbl (or ssk), knit to within last 3 sts on first needle, knit 2 tog, k1. Knit across 3rd ndlwithout decreasing. Stitches will number 9/19/10.
- Knit one round even.
- Knit to within last 3 sts on first needle, knit 2 tog, k1. On 2nd ndl, k1, k2tog tbl (or ssk), knit to within last 3 sts on first needle, knit 2 tog, k1. 3rd ndl, k1, k2tog, knit to end of ndl. Stitches will number 8/17/9.
- Knit one round even.
- Repeat these last two rounds once more - 7/15/8.
- Work a decrease round every round til stitches number 4/8/4. Knit 4 sts from ndl 1 to ndl 3. Close toe.
CTRL-D to Bookmark This Site!
This web site is made in Canada.