Red and White Socks
I was going to call these little red and white creations Christmas
Socks, then Patriotic Socks, both due to the colours I used. I asked
my daughter which struck her as the more correct name, and she said
they looked like Valentine's Day Socks. Ah well... ;)
- 100 g Brunswick LaLaine Boucle (worsted weight superwash merino) in
about 75 g Paton's Laurentien (half wool, half acrylic worsted) in white
- set of 4 dpn's - I used 3.25 mm
- Gauge: 5.5 sts per inch using both yarns together, for a firm fabric
- fits women's medium about 9 inches
- With both yarns held together, cast on 36 sts, then work 10 rounds
k2 p2 ribbing.
- Next round increase evenly by 6 sts - total 42 sts.
- Work 9 more rounds in plain stocking st.
- Work heel flap on 21 sts - Knit 11 sts, turn purl those 11 sts,
then 10 sts from next needle. Put extra few sts from those needles
onto other needle to be worked later for instep.
- *Slip 1, k1* across those 21 sts, ending slip 1.
- Turn, purl across.
- Repeat these last two rows ten times altogether -
10 slip st rows. End ready to work right side row.
- *Slip 1, k1* for first 13 sts, then k2tog. Turn.
- Slip 1, purl 5, p2tog turn.
- Slip 2, *k1, sl1, k1, sl1, k2tog, turn.
- Repeat last two rows til 7 sts remain, ready to work right side
- Knit those 7 sts, pick up 13 sts along side of heel flap, pick up a
st between needles and place onto instep needle, knit across instep
needle, pick up a st between needles and place onto instep needle, pick
up 13 sts along side of heel flap. Knit 3 sts from first needle onto
third needle. - 17/23/16 (total 56 sts)
- K1, k2tog, knit to end of first needle. On second needle, k2tog, knit
to within last 2 sts, k2tog. On last needle, knit to within last 3 sts,
k2tog tbl (or ssk), k1. - 52 sts
- Knit one round without decreases.
- K1, k2tog, knit to end of first needle. Knit across second needle
without decreasing. On last needle, knit to within last 3 sts, k2tog
tbl (or ssk), k1. - 50 sts
- Knit another round plain.
- Repeat these last two rows til 42 sts remain. - 11/21/10
- Work even til about 6 inches from where sts were picked up along side
of heel flap.
- Knit to within last 3 sts on first needle, k2tog, k1. On second
needle, k1, k2tog tbl (or ssk), knit to within last 3 sts, k2tog, k1. On
last needle, k1, k2tog tbl (or ssk), knit to end of needle.
- Knit one round plain without decreasing.
- Repeat these last two rounds til 18 sts remain. - 5/9/4 Work one more
decrease round. - 4/7/3
- Break yarn and graft toe. Make second sock the same.
- These socks are rather thick, but warm and sturdy.
- You might want to make them longer, since they're more like
'sockettes'. I made them short because I wasn't sure how much
yarn I had available to me.
- If you use one boucle (or other textured yarn), you'll retain
the interesting subtle texture as first one yarn, then the other,
appears in front.
CTRL-D to Bookmark This Site!
This web site is made in Canada.