These socks are another pair of my knit and purl stitch stripe socks. It's an easy, old fashioned stitch pattern, hence the name.
I used a hand dyed, heavy worsted weight pure wool yarn. Lots of nice, subtle colour variations along the length.
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) heavy worsted or aran weight wool yarn, (about 220 metres altogether - 250 yards), I used Araucania Nature Wool in beige.
- set of four double pointed needles - I used 4.50 mm caseins (I would have used 4.00 mm if they'd been available)
- fits women's large (about ten inches - 25 cm - in length)
- Cast on 42 sts - 14-14-14.
- Knit 5 rounds.
- Purl 3 rounds.
- Knit 3 rounds.
- Purl 1 round.
- Repeat these 4 stripes 4 times altogether, then knit 5 rounds.
- Heel - (K1, slip 1) for 12 sts, turn.
- (K1, slip 1) for 24 sts, turn.
- Repeat last row til 17 purl st ridges show on right side, ready to work right side row.
- Work 15 sts, k2tog (leaves 7 unworked), turn.
- Work 7 sts, k2tog (leaves 7 unworked), turn.
- Rep last row til 8 sts on ndl, ready to work right side row.
- With same ndl, pick up about 18 sts along side of heel flap.
- With ndl 2, pick up a st between ndls 1 and 2, knit across ndl 2, pick up a st between ndls 2 and 3.
- Onto ndl 3, pick up and knit about 18 sts along other side of heel flap, then knit first 4 sts from ndl 1 onto ndl 3. Your sts should number about 22/20/22.
- Rearrange sts to 21-22-21.
- Knit 3 rounds even.
- Knit to within last 3 sts of ndl 1, k2tog, k1. On next ndl, knit across. On last ndl, k1, ssk, knit to end of ndl.
- Knit one round even.
- Continue to decrease by 2 sts every 2nd rnd til 10 22 10 sts on ndls.
- Work even til about 5.75 inches frm side of heel flap.
- Shape toe - Knit to within last 3 sts of ndl 1, k2tog, k1. K1, ssk, knit to within last 3 sts of ndl 2, k2tog, k1. K1, ssk, k to end of ndl 3 - 9/20/9.
- Knit one round even.
- Continue decreasing every second round til sts number 6-14-6, then decrease every rnd til 4-10-4.
- Knit across first ndl, work 2nd ndl with 2 decreases as usual, don't work last ndl - 4-8-4.
- Do 3 ndl bindoff from inside (or outside if you prefer).
- One ball makes 2 socks.
- I used larger needles and washed the socks in hot soapy water with lots of agitation the first few times to full them slightly get them down to the size I wanted. I plan be more gentle with the handling and temperature since they now fit and feel perfect!
CTRL-D to Bookmark This Site!
This web site is made in Canada.