Speckled socks - made with a yarn that has contrasting coloured specks in it. These are comfy with a rolled top, all wool, done is worsted so they don't take very long either.
I made a larger and a smaller version, the smaller being known as the Junior version. It's slightly shorter, and does not have the cables along the ankle (so the rounds are a few stitches fewer in number). Instructions for the Junior version, if different, are shown in parentheses and are preceded by jr.
- Worsted weight yarn with speckles, nubs, whatever you want to call them - about 100 grams of wool just barely makes one pair
- Set of 4 dpn's, 3.25 mm suggested
- Gauge: approx 5 1/2 sts per 4 inches (10 cm)
- Fits woman's shoe size 8-9 (Canadian)
Twist 1 - tw1 - Knit the second stitch without removing it from the ndl, then knit the first stitch, then remove both those stitches from the ndl.
- Cast on 39 sts (jr - 36), arrange stitches 13/13/13 (jr - 12/12/12).
- Work 30 rounds plain knitting (jr - work a few more rounds if you want a longer sock, then proceed directly to Heel Flap once your 30 plus rounds are complete).
- The regular version has cables along the ankle as follows:
You should end up with two skinny cables, one starting and ending higher than the other along the length of the ankle area of the sock. Continue on to the Heel Flap.
- Rnd 1 - K7, p1, k2, p1, k2 on first needle. Next ndl, knit across all 13 sts. Third ndl, k2, p1, k2, p1, k7. Work another round exactly the same.
- Rnd 3 - K7, p1, twist1, p1, k2. Next ndl, knit all 13 sts. Last ndl k2, p1, twist1, p1, k7.
- Repeat the above 3 rounds 2 times in total - total 6 cable rounds.
- Rnd 7 - K4, p1, k2, p1, k2, p1, k2 on first ndl, knit across 2nd ndl. Third ndl k2, p1, k2, p1, k2, p1, k4. Make another round exactly the same.
- Rnd 9 - K4, p1, tw1, p1, tw1, p1, k2 on first ndl, knit across 2nd ndl. Third ndl k2, p1, tw1, p1, tw1, p1, k4.
- Work rounds 7-9 once more.
- Rnd 13 - K4, p1, k2, p1, k5 on first ndl, knit across 2nd ndl. Third ndl k5, p1, k2, p1, k4. Work another round the same.
- Rnd 15 - K4, p1, tw1, p1, k5 on first ndl, knit across 2nd ndl. Third ndl k5, p1, tw1, p1, k4.
- Work round 13 twice more - total 17 rounds.
- Heel Flap - Rearrange sts to 10/19/10 (jr - 9/18/9).
- K10, turn, slip first st, p19, turn (jr - k9, turn, slip1, p17, turn) - first row of heel flap made.
- *Slip 1, knit 1* across all 20 sts (jr - across all 18 sts).
- Slip first st, purl across 19 sts (jr - slip 1, purl 17).
- Repeat these two rows 12 times altogether (24 rows, approx 2 3/4 inches). This is the same for both versions.
- Maintaing stitch pattern as established, work 13 sts, work 2 tog, turn (jr - work 12 sts, work 2 tog, turn).
- Slip first st, work next 6 sts, work 2 together, turn (same for both versions).
- Repeat this last row til the number of stitches is decreased to 8 (both versions).
- Knit across these 8 sts, pick up 14 sts along side of heel flap (jr - pick up 13), pick up a stitch between first and second ndl. Knit across sts on 2nd ndl. On third needle, pick up a stitch between second and third needle, pick up 14 sts along other side of heel flap (jr - pick up 13), knit first 4 sts off ndl 1. Stitches should be 19/19/19 (jr - 18/18/18).
- Knit 2 rounds even.
- Knit to within last 3 sts on first needle, knit 2 tog, k1. Knit across 2nd ndl. On 3rd ndl, k1, k2tog tbl (or ssk), knit to end of needle. Stitches will number 18/19/18 (jr - 17/18/17).
- Knit one round even.
- Repeat these last tow rounds til stitches equal 9/19/9 (jr - 9/18/9). For regular version, k2tog near centre of 2nd ndl to decrease the number of sts on it to 18 (jr - no decrease).
- Work even til 6 to 6 1/2 inches from edge of heel flap, or desired length to toe decrease area.
- Toe DecreaseKnit to within last 3 sts on first needle, knit 2 tog, k1. On 2nd ndl, k1, k2tog tbl (or ssk), knit to within last 3 sts on first needle, knit 2 tog, k1. On 3rd ndl, k1, k2tog tbl (or ssk), knit to end of needle. Stitches will number 8/16/8. These instructions are the same for both versions.
- Repeat these last two rounds once more, then continue to repeat the decrease round til stitches equal 4/8/4. Knit the 4 sts from ndl 1 onto ndl 3. Close toe.
CTRL-D to Bookmark This Site!
This web site is made in Canada.