Rebel Alliance Cushion
For my daughter's birthday in June 2005, I decided to create something with the Rebel Alliance logo on it. I'd initially thought of a purse, but I've made her one of those in the past, and although she's a big fan of the trilogy / trilogies, I didn't know if she'd want to be displaying the fact everywhere she went. :) So I decided on a small decorative cushion instead, two of them actually.
It's done in mostly stocking st and worsted weight yarn. It takes a while to do because of the colour changes, but looks great once it's done. I chose the logo colour to match my best perception of the colour of the real thing, and the background to coordinate.
If you change the yarn weight, you'll get a larger or smaller item. Yarn requirements may vary, too.
I also have an Empire Attack Cushion pattern.
- Bernat Satin Worsted, 1 ball each of bordeaux (burgundy) and sable (beige)
- 3.5 mm circ or single point needles, or whatever size gives you a fairly firm fabric
- 4.5 - 5.5 mm crochet hook and ability to work single crochet (to join front to back and add edging)
- several yarn bobbins (5 to 7)
- gauge approx 20 sts / 4" (10 cm)
- square pillow form 8 x 8 inches to 9.5 x 9.5 inches (20 x 20 cm to 25 x 25 cm), or make your own 8.5 by 8.5 inches (21.5 x 21.5 cm)
- finished size about 9 x 9 inches (23 x 23 cm) plus edging
- Cast on 44 sts w burgundy, work 6 rows garter st (knit across each row).
- Next row and all following rows til directed otherwise, knit first 3 and last 3 sts in burgundy to form garter st at edges while continuing to work the centre 38 sts in stocking st (knit on right side, purl on wrong side).
- After first 3 sts in burgundy, join beige, knit one row for background of centre 38 sts, working last 3 sts in burgundy as directed above.
- Adding bobbins of colour as required, follow chart for colour placement in stocking st section.
- Once chart is complete, work 1 or 2 final rows in stocking st, ending ready to work a right side row.
- Break beige, work 6 rows garter st with burgundy (knit each row).
- Bind off.
- For back, with burgundy work 6 rows garter st on 44 sts as for front.
- Keeping first and last 3 sts in burgundy garter st as for front, switch to beige and work 2 rows of stocking st on centre 38 sts.
- Next row, and every third row afterwards, in the centre 38 sts, knit 3 sts in beige, and every 4th st in burgundy.
- Continue to work 2 plain coloured rows in between the above.
- Once you've worked 16 or 17 rows with contrasting sts, work one more solid colour row with beige.
- Drop beige, work 6 rows in garter st with burgundy.
- Cast off.
- To finish, with beige, sc front and back together along right side, top, then left side, leaving length of yarn attached.
- Place pillow form inside, sc across bottom edge to close. Hide yarn ends.
CTRL-D to Bookmark This Site!
This web site is made in Canada.