Empire Attack Cushion
The second of two cushions made for my daughter's birthday in June 2005.
It's done in mostly stocking st and worsted weight yarn. If you change the yarn weight, you'll get a larger or smaller item. Yarn requirements will vary, too.
I also have an Rebel Alliance Cushion pattern.
- Bernat Satin Worsted, 1 ball each of silver (grey) and ebony (black)
- 3.5 mm circ or single point needles, or whatever size gives you a fairly firm fabric
- 4.5 - 5.5 mm crochet hook and ability to work single crochet (to join front to back and add edging)
- several yarn bobbins (5 to 7)
- gauge approx 20 sts / 4" (10 cm)
- square pillow form 8 x 8 inches to 9.5 x 9.5 inches (20 x 20 cm to 25 x 25 cm), or make your own 8.5 by 8.5 inches (21.5 x 21.5 cm)
- finished size about 9 x 9 inches (23 x 23 cm) plus edging
- Cast on 44 sts w silver, work 6 rows garter st (knit across each row).
- Next row and all following rows til directed otherwise, knit first 3 and last 3 sts in silver to form garter st at edges while continuing to work the centre 38 sts in stocking st (knit on right side, purl on wrong side).
- After first 3 sts in silver, join black, knit one row for background of centre 38 sts, working last 3 sts in silver as directed above.
- Adding bobbins of colour as required, follow chart for colour placement in stocking st section.
- Once chart is complete, work 1 or 2 final rows in stocking st, ending ready to work a right side row.
- Break black, work 6 rows garter st with silver (knit each row).
- Bind off.
- For back, with silver work 6 rows garter st on 44 sts as for front.
- Keeping first and last 3 sts in silver garter st as for front, switch to black and work 2 rows of stocking st on centre 38 sts.
- Next row, and every third row afterwards, in the centre 38 sts, knit 3 sts in black, and every 4th st in grey.
- Continue to work 2 plain coloured rows in between the above.
- Once you've worked 16 or 17 rows with contrasting sts, work one more solid colour row with black.
- Drop black, work 6 rows in garter st with silver.
- Cast off.
- To finish, with black, sc front and back together along right side, top, then left side, leaving length of yarn attached.
- Place pillow form inside, sc across bottom edge to close. Hide yarn ends.
CTRL-D to Bookmark This Site!
This web site is made in Canada.